St Martin of Tours Church Bell Ringers
The sound of bells ringing is deeply rooted in British culture. Almost everyone in Britain lives within hearing range of bells.
They provide the grand soundtrack to our historic moments, call out for our celebrations and toll sadly in empathy with our grief. The bitter-sweet sound of just one bell or the majesty of a whole peal, has become part of the English heritage and much of the country’s history can be traced through the history of its bells. They have called us to wake, to pray, to work, to arms, to feast and, in times of crisis, to come together. Above all, bells are the sound of freedom and peace as in World War II they hung silently until the day they could ring in the peace.
Prior to 1959 the tower had 3 bells. In 1959 Taylors of Loughborough recast the old treble and added three lighter bells to make a ring of 6. These were rung for change ringing in a new metal frame capable of taking eight. The recast bell, now the fourth, was original cast by William Clibury in 1632. The present fifth and sixth are by the same foundry and dated 1634, these two were quarter turned in 1959 and hung in cannon retaining headstocks. It is thought that these three bells originated from Clibury’s branch foundry at Holt near Wrexham, rather than at his home in Wellington, Shropshire. They bear the following inscriptions:
4th GLORIA IN EXCELSVS DEO 1632
TAYLOR LOUGHBOROUGH 1959
5TH GOD SAVE HIS CHURCH OUR KING AND REALME
6TH SOLI DEO IMMORTALI SIT GLORIA 1634
The tenor was described as a “particularly fine bell” by the bell historian Ranald Clouston in 1988, weigh 7cwt 2qrtr 22lbs (391kg) and strikes the note A. The two 1 are of sufficient historical value to have been listed for preservation since 1988.
Here at St Martins, we have ringers of all abilities and ages. We ring for Sunday service and all manner of church occasions, from Weddings, to special services for Christmas and other holidays. We have rung for community occasions like the recent dedication of a statue erected to commemorate 50th anniversary of the closing of the local Ifton Colliery in 1968, and, more poignantly, the 100th anniversary of the end of the 1st World War.
We practice on a Tuesday evening from 7.00pm to 8.30pm, and ring for the St Martins Sunday service from 9.00 - 9.30am.
Tower Captain: Dai Cartwright
Telephone 01691 778215
Mobile 07964 161397. Email email@example.com
Deputy Tower Captain: Mark Hayball
Telephone 01691 770207
Mobile 07941 301896. Email firstname.lastname@example.org